The St. Joseph County Republican Party believes:
- That the proper function of government is to do only those things for people that cannot be done as well by them individually.
- That the most responsive and effective government is the government closest to the people.
- That government exists to protect freedom of opportunity so that every individual’s creative ability can flourish, and every individual can succeed – or fail – regardless of race, sex, age, religion, or disability.
- That the family is the foundation of a law-abiding stable society and is the means by which values and skills are taught to our children. Government should not assume this job for itself, and it should not establish policies that impait the family’s abilit to perform these vital functions.
- That our free enterprise system must be protected and nurtured by research, educational, political and legal systems that foster a vital and vigorous economic system of world leadership.
- That based upon this economic strength, America must maintain a strong and well prepared military to protect its citizens from the dangers of a rapidly changing world. America should carefully use its armed forces to protect and extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.
- That this nation was founded on spiritual principals, but it is not government’s job to promote or sponsor any particular faith, religion or spiritual belief. No religion needs or is entitled to the sponsorship of the state.
- That this nations’s founders recognized that our government has the potential to tyrannize and oppress, so the Bill of Rights exists to protect our individual freedom and liberty.
- That the Republican Party is the best hope for translating these beliefs into successful government. We respect every person’s worth and right to form and hold opinions. While Republicans may have honest differences of opinion, we are willing to work together to elect Republicans in every level of government who share these fundamental beliefs.